Graphics Format

Subject: Graphics Format
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 17:04:03 +0100

Hello Pam,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Pam Bar-Haim an All am 17.09.96

PB> Can anyone out there offer advice on choosing a graphics format?

PB> We need a format that, while
PB> minimizing file size, gives a high-quality printout using a
PB> non-PostScript printer (as well as a PostScript printer).

You seem to use Windows applications exclusively. Therefore I cannot see your
point about the printer. Take a format all programs can use and that is
appropriate for your usage. The printer driver converts everything to the
format your printer understands.

If your pictures are screenshots or other "synthetic" pictures with relatively
few colors (<256) and sharp contrasts, use GIF. It does not distort your
pictures and is quite compact for this kind of materials.

If you have photographs or use continuous color shades, use JPEG (*.JPG). This
format compresses this kind of material very well, but distorts your pictures.
But you can balance file size and distortion.

TIFF (*.TIF) is another possibility, but there are MANY subtypes that might be
incompatible with some of your programs.

BTW: Try to reduce the color count first.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance Technical Writer (electronics, software)

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-