Re: Until It's Time for Me to Go

Subject: Re: Until It's Time for Me to Go
From: Chris Tonjes <chris -at- OVERTHE -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 03:08:10 GMT

alsacien -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il wrote:

>Dear Colleagues,

>Recently I faced something that still has me very upset: for the first
>time, I was at an impasse with a project (the same one I mentioned before
>in the list), and I was forced to abandon the project shortly before the
>projected completion date. I have never done this before and am still not
>too comfortable with what I did, but I don't see how I could do otherwise.
>For the moment, I'm looking for group therapy, shall we say, because it
>could be that I did the right thing, only it feels wrong.

There's only so much one person can do....

It appears the bad decisions on this project snowballed until the
whole thing collapsed under their weight. It sounds like you were not
in a good position to fight for reasonable deadlines, coherent
outlines, sensibly constructed help files, or a clearly defined review
process. Your clients got what they deserved.

IMO no job is worth it if it causes undue stress or aggravates unhappy
family situations. I think you did the right thing.

If you freelance again, however, learn how to say no. You probably
should have backed out of the project after your written contract
ended.