Re: Performance Reviews

Subject: Re: Performance Reviews
From: "John P. Brinegar" <johnbri -at- PRIMENET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 08:07:22 -0700

"Theresa P. Bui" <info -at- POLYMERTECH -dot- COM> wrote:

<snip> In this case, are there
>writing-related topics that I should definitely bring up to discuss?

I suggest you give your boss a written review of your own performance,
emphasizing what you believe you shold have accomplished compared to what
you did accomplish. Include, also, suggestions for what you might do to
improve your contribution to your bosses goals and objectives, and any
improvements that could be made to your working relationships and work
processes. This need not be a lengthy piece, just a basis for thought and
discussion.

When I reviewed people who reported to me, such inputs were always very helpful.

>Also, I do expect
>to discuss a salary increase at this review, so does anyone have pearls of
>wisdom to
>drop on this issue?

Yes, after you and your boss have discussed your performance and plans for
the next review period. Assuming this review is positive, you could suggest
that your value has increased, therfore you deserve a salary increase that
is comensurate with your bosses financial sutuation. You probably won't be
talking about specific numbers, but about what might influence the size of
those numbers.

John P. Brinegar http://www.primenet.com/~johnbri/index.html
Consulting and development Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.A.
-Performance support systems (602) 278-7398
-Technical communications johnbri -at- primenet -dot- com