Terms question: capitalize or not? -Reply

Subject: Terms question: capitalize or not? -Reply
From: David Hailey <FAHAILEY -at- WPO -dot- HASS -dot- USU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 09:54:17 -0600

For what it is worth, I have seen this discussed before.
The understanding I got from the discussions seems to be in
keeping with my understanding for the philosophical reason
for UC&lc choices in English. As those of you who speak
German know, all nouns are capitalized. In English nouns
that identify singularities are capitalized. Names identify
individuals (singularities), and so they are capitalized.
In such an environment when you write "Internet" and mean
*the* network, *the* Internet that we have all come to love
and hate, you capitalize. If you say, "I want to internet
our communications," you would not capitalize.

The same should apply to "web." When say "Web" and mean
*the* World Wide Web, it should probably be capitalized.

As all of the others know, however, this is an undecided
issue. I am just introducing (as I understand it) the
underlying philosophy for capitalization in English.
Obviously, capitalization as punctuation (e.g., beginning
sentences) follows a different set of rules.

Dave Hailey
fahailey -at- wpo -dot- hass -dot- usu -dot- edu
USU etc. . .