Credits in books

Subject: Credits in books
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 23:41:01 +0100

Hello Anne,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Anne Weiler an All am 18.09.96

AW> From: Anne Weiler <annew -at- CHANCERY -dot- COM>

AW> > One
AW> > company I worked for was advised by its lawyers to stop
AW> > printing such credits.
AW> >
AW> What were the lawyers' reasons?

Perhaps the same ones I would refuse to put my name in a manual: Liability.

This way users only have one person to sue: The manufacturer.

To prevent misunderstandings: I wish to be proud of my work. I like to keep my
customers through high-quality work. But I would like not to stand in court
whenever possible. And according to European product liability legislation, a
user can sue anyone who was involved in manufacturing and might be liable for
his damage. If he sues me, *I* have to prove that I am *not* guilty.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance Technical Writer (electronics, software)