Re: Periods After Whole Numbers etc.

Subject: Re: Periods After Whole Numbers etc.
From: WRONECKI Frederic DG <frederic -dot- wronecki -at- FRANCETELECOM -dot- FR>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 11:52:25 +0200

Ian White wrote :

> The original purpose of the rigid IF...THEN construction is
> to ensure that even a machine can understand it. But we human readers
> react badly to writing that is mechanical and never varies, especially
> if there's a lot of it.

Ian, I'm afraid you're indulging into a "literary" vision of technical
writing : we're not writing poetry, but efficience.
A technical document must be thought of not as a "work of art", but as a
"device" which enacts the reader to perform an action. Thus the goal is not
to please the reader, but to have the lowest "error rate" when (s)he
performs the action.

Frederic Wronecki
France Telecom, Paris, France
mailto : frederic -dot- wronecki -at- francetelecom -dot- fr