Re: Obsession with University Degrees?

Subject: Re: Obsession with University Degrees?
From: "Tony G. Rocco" <trocco -at- NAVIS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 16:57:06 -0800

Although I am earning an MA in English with a technical writing focus, most
of the practical stuff that I know about technical writing has come from
job-related experience, not school. I would say, however, that degrees are
worthwhile, even degrees that do not directly relate to the technical
writing field. Having an MA rather than just a BA/BS is meaningful in
itself. It says that you are dedicated, goal oriented, achieving, and at
least somewhat above-average in intelligence. The idea that degrees merely
indicate that you can think in the same manner as everyone else is false
stereotyping in my opinion.

Technical writing is a complex, evolving field, not a trade like carpentry,
auto mechanics, or welding (not meaning to disparage any of these).
Academic credentials add to the credibility of technical writers and
enhance their ability to think and write effectively, IMHO.

- Tony