Re[2]: Speak up for degrees -- NOT

Subject: Re[2]: Speak up for degrees -- NOT
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 08:30:00 -0600

And if
you'll notice, we're talking about being *able* to drive a car, not
being *allowed* to drive a car.

Nice squirm, but it still doesn't work:

1) If you're meaning "able" in the sense of "possessed of sufficient
resources," which is what I think you're meaning, then education is a
completely different entity, as it's something acquired, not inborn. This
meaning might also be expressed as "able to learn to drive." To be able to
be educated is possibly in the same class as this meaning of "able to
drive," but again that's irrelevant.

2) In order to become able to drive (as opposed to simply able to learn to
drive) a car without entering the licensing process, one has to break the
law (in most states). No such lawbreaking is required to become educated
outside of institutional walls.

3) The driver's license would be more akinn to the TW certification that
we've all heard talked to death. To get the driver's license, one has
demonstrated fundamental skills in the task at hand. There is no task
associated with education for fundamental skills to have been demonstrated
in. In fact, with the large number of functionally illiterate college grads
on the scene today, I really doubt demonstration of *anything* is *required*
to obtain a degree.

(NOTE: Before I start getting hate mail from degreed people on this list,
I'm not pointing to anyone in particular as not learning anything while
pursuing a degree. OTOH, if anyone thinks I said that it's not possible to
learn anything while pursuing a degree, then perhaps I *am* referring to
them, as they're clearly not capable of understanding the language --ESL
folks clearly excepted.)

My bottom line:
It is quite possible to be degreed and also be educated. It is also quite
possible to be either one of the two. It is even possible be dressed in a
suit and be a good Tech Writer. Or to be either one of the two.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224