Re: Making up user names

Subject: Re: Making up user names
From: Elna Tymes <Etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 10:50:35 -0700

And Jim Grey wrote:
> At one company, the system administrator refused to make some dummy user
> accounts for me, so I *had* to use my own login name in the "how to log in"
> part of the book. <snip> Our
> computer-based training system and a portion of our online Help system that
> describes media-buying basics refer to (and show a cartoony picture of) a
> typical buyer, "Media Mary." For the how-to portion of our Help system, we
> extended the Mary concept by using "mary maxwell" as our typical user.

Here in polycultural Silicon Valley, our clients have vastly preferred a
mix of cultural user names - Indian, Afghan, middle-Eastern, African,
Hispanic, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc. - as well as traditional
northern European names. No, they haven't specifically asked for this
approach going in, but they generally comment gratefully for this kind
of attention when they see a draft.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems