Re: Periods After Whole Numbers etc.

Subject: Re: Periods After Whole Numbers etc.
From: WRONECKI Frederic DG <frederic -dot- wronecki -at- FRANCETELECOM -dot- FR>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 16:41:40 +0200

I wrote :
>Joanna, YOU are irritated, and so am I !... But what matters is not our
>opinion, neither our boss's or client's, but the user's *behaviour*.
>I'm not sure that the operator who has to concentrate on his/her task and
>not on the style of the manual, will care about the use of "then".

And Joanna replied :
> Well, actually, I was feeling pretty blustery yesterday, and I'm afraid I
> let the list have my bluster, but it wasn't meant unkindly.

Joanna,
After searching for "bluster" in my English-French dictionary, and reading
your posting twice, I realized there must have been a dramatic
misunderstanding between us, for which I must apologize.

When I wrote "YOU are irritated, and so am I !...", it meant : "you are
irritated to see "then" after "if" clauses, and so am I", but I definitely
did NOT mean "you are irritated by my posting and so am I by yours"...

What I wanted to stress is that our opinion, since we concentrate on the
text itself, is quite different from the reader/operator's feeling, since
(s)he must focus on the task and not on the text. But translating my thought
to English may lead to ambiguity : "traduttore, tradittore"...

Frederic Wronecki
France Telecom, Paris, France
mailto : frederic -dot- wronecki -at- francetelecom -dot- fr