Re: What's The Name of *#*

Subject: Re: What's The Name of *#*
From: "Shalanna (Denise) Weeks" <dgweeks -at- SPDMAIL -dot- SPD -dot- DSCCC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 11:12:29 -0500

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Nancy Lynch wrote:

> In my Tech Editing class, we've been given the assignment to find out the
> correct name for the number sign or the pound sign (#). It's *not* called
> the commercial sign anymore, I've been told.

> For those of you who like nitpicky challenges, any ideas?

That's an octothorpe. (really.)

Look it up. I am not making this up. :)

We also call it the tic-tac-toe sign around here ("Mash the 1 key and then
mash the tic-tac-toe sign and it'll ring my bells in my office. . . .")
It kind of looks like a splat, too, but "*" is the splat, unless you're on
a Mac and have a "command" key, which is officially the "splat" or
cloverleaf.

Anyhow, go amaze them with your knowledge of octothorpes!!

Shalanna
dgweeks -at- spd -dot- dsccc -dot- com