Re: Use of periods in phone numbers

Subject: Re: Use of periods in phone numbers
From: Bob Handlin/US/3Com <Bob_Handlin -at- 3MAIL -dot- 3COM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 10:54:39 EDT

Yikes!!! (Small burners on, directed at nobody in particular)

We're technical communicators. We have no license to experiment with trendy
conventions. Our job is to communicate clearly, not to be stylish.
International audiences are routinely exposed to the (123) 456-7890 format,
just as we in the U.S. see various formats from abroad.

Prove to me that 50.0001 percent of my audience finds the 111.111.1111 format
more understandable, and I'll switch over today.

On a side note: I agree that making the parenetheses is a bit of a burden, but
it doesn't involve any mouse clicks so I'm okay with it ;)

(Burners off).

Bob

Bob_Handlin -at- 3mail -dot- 3com -dot- com