Re: Since

Subject: Re: Since
From: Jim Morgan <jlmorgan -at- SENDERO -dot- FISERV -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 11:45:04 -0700

>Lisa asked:

>Speaking of pet peeves . . . using 'since' to show the reason for
>something happening instead of (what I think to be) the correct word
>'because'?

Lisa, I will defend to the death your right to select "because" or "since"
as you see fit for clarity, but I must object to your use of the word
"correct." It's not a question of correct or incorrect usage.

The use of the word "since" to mean "because" is an ancient, accepted,
*correct* usage. You (and others who have commented on this topic) seem to
imply that it's a recent aberration in our language.

I cite the following from the OED:

since II. 4. because that; seeing that; inasmuch as
1450 "Syns Christ bought us as he did other . . ." 1489 Caxton "But since
all humane flesh is mortall . . ." 1577 Googe "Sins it is not yet dinner
tyme, let us walk about." 1588 Shakespeare, Comedy of Errors, "Since that my
beautie cannot please his eie . . ."