# sign

Subject: # sign
From: Anthony Veeder <anthony -at- EMULTEK -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 09:14:12 EET

I seem to remember that British typewriters have £ (the pound
sign) as shift-3. Maybe that's how the American shift-3 (#)
got its name. Britishers call it the "hash" sign, as has been
mentioned (don't know why).

BTW, in Hebrew, # is often referred to as "sulamit", meaning
"little ladder." Cute, no?

---
Anthony Veeder eMail: anthony -at- emultek -dot- co -dot- il
Technical Documentation Tel: +972-4-999-0044
Emultek Ltd. Fax: +972-4-999-0050
Israel