Re: hot tech writing mkt -- salaries skyrocketing?

Subject: Re: hot tech writing mkt -- salaries skyrocketing?
From: Sam Hranac <hkranch -at- INTERACCESS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 08:41:20 -0500

At 05:18 PM 10/1/96 -0700, Susan Gallagher wrote:
>We're trying to recruit tech writers right now. Not only are we having a
>hard time getting people in the door (we're in CA -- East Bay), but those
>coming in with 3+ experience are demanding at least 70K. Many want at least
>75K. Perhaps it's networking writers in particular -- not sure.

>I'm not unwilling to pay this, however, it seems like tech writers are
>pulling the Mazda Miatta gig -- sell at whatever the buyer will pay. And
>pay they will right now -- I've discovered that tech writer openings are a
>dime a dozen.
Mazda did not invent selling at whatever the buyer will pay. It is
called supply and demand. If a programmer can make what he or she is
worth, then so can a tech writer. Payment for services has always been
based on what the service is worth. If good documentation means nothing
to you, then pay nothing for it. Writers that do not charge what they
are worth are selling themselves short.

Another 2¢ opinion,
Sam