job opening and compensation question

Subject: job opening and compensation question
From: Kelly Leydon <kelly -dot- leydon -at- AMP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 09:10:33 -0400

I've been reading the thread about the tech writing market and salaries. It
could not have come at a more appropriate time.

I am a small technical writing and desktop publishing consulting company in
CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA. I would like to know WHAT A FAIR HOURLY RATE TO PAY
for the following (I will take out all taxes and provide paid days off, no health insurance though).

I have an immediate opening with a large company that wants the following:

- A technical writer/editor with 2-5 years of practical software engineering
documentation experience.
- Proficiency with MS Word 6 or 7 required (FrameMaker exp. would be a plus)
- Understanding of Win95 and Unix operating systems
- Desktop publishing and page layout experience
- Ability to self-teach software packages as needed
- Understanding of online publications process and HTML

Some of the responsibilities this person would have are:

- Editing and formatting 3 quarterly newsletters (ranging in size from
4-20 pages). Coordinating and packaging the newsletters for printing and
distribution.
- Writing, editing and/or testing user documentation and quick reference
guides. This would include working with software developers (who usually
write the first draft) to determine appropriate language and format for
the materials.
- Assisting staff in the development of standards and procedures.
- Taking minutes at high-level production meetings and condensing the
information into an easy-to-understand digest form.
- Assisting staff with software questions/problems related to MS Word
and/or FrameMaker.

This is an ideal position for someone who can work independently but enjoys
working in a large, dynamic environment.The person who held this job the
last worked for me for over 2-1/2 years and recently left stating she
wasn't being paid enough. I have consulted the STC salary survey and seem
to be in the ball park.

If you are interested in applying for this position, please contact me
directly at (717) 564-5166 or send me an e-mail message stating your
qualifications and salary requirements.

If you just want to help me make sure I am compensating fairly please send
me an e-mail directly.

Thanks,

Kelly Leydon
Advanced Resources Group