Re: Re[2]: documentation on the WWW

Subject: Re: Re[2]: documentation on the WWW
From: Chet Ensign <censign -at- INTERSERV -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 14:16:01 -0700

Karla,

>> A question for those of you whose product doc is on the web...How do you
deal
with security issues? The R&D guys here are talking about distributing
software
and doc through a limited access web site, and I'm not sure that's doable...
<<

The site I'm working with is secured behind a registration process. It is
password protected and I work on several others that are the same way. The
client is talking about using the same Web-based architecture for
collaborative documents done in cooperation with design partners, and there
they are using passwords, login names combined with domain-name restrictions
to really limit who gets there.

I wouldn't put up anything your company really considers sensitive. But a
password protected documentation database is probably just as secure as a
paper book.

/chet