Writing vs. ??? TECHNICAL writing: Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God

Subject: Writing vs. ??? TECHNICAL writing: Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God
From: "Higgins, Lisa R." <eilrh -at- EXCHANGE -dot- WCC -dot- LUCENT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 14:56:00 -0400

Of course grammar and usage play a role in technical writing. Nobody has
denied this. But they play a role in all writing, really, and this list
is intended specifically for technical writing issues.

I won't speak for anyone else, but as I understand what Eric has been
saying, there are a million different places you can go to discuss these
issues. This list is specifically for technical communication. As
Professional Communicators (this is my new favorite joke), we should
already know how we feel about such issues, and all that comes of
discussing grammar and usage are a bunch of 'me, too' posts and Nazi
threads.

I am especially bitter about the linguistic threads because I have
practically had to weld my fingers together to keep from blowing each
and every one of you insufferable little insects away with my
comprehensive knowledge of and earth-shattering insight into all things
linguistic. But I have done it. I have been sitting here, like one of
those krazy gods in Jason and the Argonauts, watching you foolish
mortals and your petty foibles.

That said, linguistics and usage are HUGE subjects. This little mailing
list would groan and splinter under the weight of those topics. Look at
alt.usage.english. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want THAT
in my mailbox every morning.

Lisa Higgins. eilrh -at- ei -dot- lucent -dot- com