Re: Def Needed: System vs Application

Subject: Re: Def Needed: System vs Application
From: Joy Zigo <Joy -dot- Zigo -at- HARPERCOLLINS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 17:12:28 -0400

Phil--

How about "module" as a name for the parts of your application? You
could have, for example, the Network Specification Module, the
Capacity Estimation Module, the Instantaneous Enrichment Module....

I'm attaching 19.95 to this message. Can't wait to see your video.

Best regards--
Joy

Joy Zigo
Curriculum Developer
HarperCollins Publishers
joy -dot- zigo -at- harpercollins -dot- com

Disclaimer: My opinions are my own, and not my employer's.

Subject: Def Needed: System vs Application
Author: Phil Hellerman <Phil -dot- Hellerman -at- MCI -dot- COM> at Internet-Server
Date: 10/4/96 2:59 PM

I am developing documentation for software that plans network capacity
for a telecom application. The software performs a variety of functions.
Evidently (just getting started documenting) developers coded each
function individually.

Do I have a system or an application? If I have a system, then I can
easily refer to each function as a sub-system. This sounds and reads
well but is incorrect in its usage. I would use the term application
(shich is correct) in place of system but what do I call the functions;
sub-applications, functions?

The definitions at http://wfn-shop.princeton.edu/foldoc/contents.html
confirm my understanding of system and applications.

Any Help is appreciated.

And by the way, you can send for my video (MC, VISA and AE accepted).
Its 19.95 and it describes my sure-fire way to sell freezers to the
eskimos and swamp land in Arizona. I knows it works because I am a
zillionaire and I only write because it is fun. I always wanted to know
who watched and responded to infomercials on late-night tv.

regards.