Re: Personal Quality Standards

Subject: Re: Personal Quality Standards
From: "Christine Lienhart, x4560" <clienhart -at- UVSG -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 15:32:00 CDT

tgr wrote:

>an absolutist and moralistic position. She made a mistake about how much
>time it would take to do a first-rate job with the manual. Live and
learn.
>She shouldn't now have to eat her mistake and spend endless unpaid hours
>just to prove to God and the king that she has high standards.

I second that. It's too late to do anything but re-negotiate the
contract. Barring that, she should learn from her mistake of not
reviewing the manual beforehand, and be careful next time. It's too bad,
but life goes on.

Here's an idea: maybe she should say to the client, "I have completed
the changes we agreed on, but I noticed other places where I could make
improvements (for example......)." ...and go from there. That way, you
have not compromised your Personal Standards because you *tried* to get
the job to rewrite the document, but you didn't give the client many
hours of free work.

Christine Lienhart
Technical Writer
Tulsa, OK