Employment Opportunities in Jacksonville, FL

Subject: Employment Opportunities in Jacksonville, FL
From: "Richard A. Wrye" <rwrye -at- GATE -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 08:14:12 -0400

The following descriptions provide information on the two technical
writer positions open in the Publications department at ALLTEL
Information Services - Mortgage Division.

1. Technical Writer

Responsibilities
The Technical Writer bears the ultimate responsibility of
* developing end-user documentation for windows applications for the
Front End Systems division at ALLTEL Information Services - Mortgage
Division.
* assessing project impact to library of ALLTEL documentation.
* analyzing source data submitted by programmers and analysts and
actively pursuing clarification when needed.
* validating updates with programmers, analysts, customer service reps,
trainers, editors, lead writers, and others to ensure that updated
documentation is technically accurate.
* ensuring that all documentation is completed accurately.
* meeting deadlines or re negotiating deadlines when priorities change.
* maintaining and/or improving quality of documentation being updated
and developed.

Experience Required
Two to three years of writing experience; candidate must be able to
present a portfolio of writing samples. We are willing to place a
candidate at this level based on previous writing experience, but expect
that we will have to train the writer on our tool set and development
methodology.

Education Required
Recent four-year degree in Technical Communications, Professional
Writing, English, Journalism, or Communications

2. Senior Technical Writer

Responsibilities
The Senior Technical Writer bears the ultimate responsibility of
* identifying and/or documenting all components of a new development
project, including users guides, reference guides, installation guides,
administrator guides, and creating online help files to include field
and screen descriptions, narrative on how to use help, field values,
etc.
* validating updates for editors and writers to ensure that updated
documentation is accurate according to the established standards.
* meeting deadlines or re negotiating deadlines when priorities change.
Candidate bears ultimate responsibility for missed deadlines.
* maintaining positive working relationships with others.
* communicating impact of changes to the appropriate people when
changing deadlines or delivery dates impact documentation projects.
* creating complete project plans and schedules
* ensuring that all documentation scheduled for production and
distribution of paper-based documentation, diskettes, and CD-ROM.
* improving quality, contributing to standards, reducing costs, and
improving productivity on projects.

Experience Required
Five to six years of technical writing experience, with an emphasis on
software documentation and help file creation; candidate must be able to
present a portfolio of writing samples and online help files.
Candidates for this position must have technical writing experience and
an expertise with our development tool set. We expect that we will have
to train the writer on our corporate culture and development
methodology, but not on the tool set or how to write software
documentation or create online help.

Education Required
4-year degree in Technical Communications, Professional Writing,
English, Journalism, or Communications

If you are interested in applying for one of these positions, please
reply and attach your resume. You must be willing to relocate to
Jacksonville, FL.

--
Richard Wrye
rwrye -at- gate -dot- net