online documentation

Subject: online documentation
From: Irene Wong <wongword -at- OZEMAIL -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 22:34:23 +1100

Anita has asked for suggested books or sites for online documentation.

I have found two authors particularly valuable. William Horton's "Designing and writing
online docuumentation" is excellent. I also like his "Web Page Design Cookbook". He has
a web page.

I also use John Brockman's "Writing Better User Documentation". This is a Wiley
publication.

{I will also endorse the recommendation of Jo Ann Hackos' book for mananagement and
planning.)

I have seen an advanced list of forthcoming Wiley books and I seem to remember that Jo
Ann has a forthcoming book on online documentation, but I might be wrong. I attended a
course she gave a couple of years ago her on online documentation. She has such an
immense range of experience to draw on.

Irene Wong
Developmental editor/Acting managing editor
Publishing Unit
Australian Securities Commission, Sydney