Re: entry-level positions

Subject: Re: entry-level positions
From: Wendy Carvell <wcarvell -at- ENVIRO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 09:09:16 -0400

Hi Megan,
Don't despair, there are kind souls out there that are willing to give a
fresh faced college student a try. I've only been working for a year,
hired right out of college, with only classroom experience, too. I was
thrown into the fire because I was the only tech writer at my present
job trying to maintain three five-hundred page manuals, keep up with
updates to the product, and learn the chemical engineering field
terminology! No copying for me.

I do know how you feel though without the required computer skills. But
all the programs that employers ask for today, MS Word, FrameMaker,
Acrobat, etc, I learned on-the-job. I only had a smattering of Macintosh
skills when I was hired. Now I am writing for a complex, client/server
database product.

I consider myself lucky that I found this job. It was only the second
job I applied for out of college and the only interview I went on. So
sometimes you do luck out.