Re: Ageism discussion

Subject: Re: Ageism discussion
From: joanne grey <j -dot- grey -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 22:12:26 -0700

Tony G. Rocco wrote:
<long story short> I would like to see a discussion on the issue of
ageism as it affects, or
> does not affect, technical communicators.

I'm 42 and have never felt any kind of discrimination. If anything, I
think that employers like the stability that goes with a (suppopsedly)
more mature employee. Years ago, when you were expected to be loyal,
work for the same company for 30 years, then retire, it might have been
an issue. These days, company loyalty isn't an issue anymore.

Also, I have more experience with more programs (and a better base
understanding of the new concepts because I've actually *worked* with
many of the older ones) than my younger coworkers.
Joanne Grey Senior Technical Writer
j -dot- grey -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net Standard disclaimers apply
joann -at- genesyslab -dot- com http://www.genesyslab.com

Life ain't in holdin' a good hand, but in playin' a pore hand well.
The Cowboy Humor of Alfred Henry Lewis