Re[3]: Ageism discussion

Subject: Re[3]: Ageism discussion
From: ROBERT SIDMAN <ROBERT_SIDMAN -at- FMSO -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 09:55:56 -0400

I personally have to agree with Don, who is but 7 years older than me.

Those who now hire have an ingrown attitude that we older job applicants have
been around since the invention of paper, or quilled pens; that some of us may
have personally known Guttenburg or set type by hand from a California job case.

But what is forgotten is that we have been there and done that. We have adjusted
to technological change. We look forward to the future with relish, not dread.
And we have learned every step of the way.

Because we've been at it so long, we know the questions to ask, the points which
need clarification and a larger explanation, and we can generally knock off the
assignment in shorter time because somewhere, in another time and place, we did
this before and can remember what held us up there.

If I was hiring and had the choice between Don, at 65, or me at 58 (with 40
years' writing experience) against someone younger with less experience, I'd
take the older guy for his experience, temperment and drive.

It's hell growing old in the U.S., when you want to continue working at what you
love, because you have honed a particular talent for years (and writing and
editing is that), and you hit some clown sitting behind a desk who believes
anyone over 65, or 60, or 55, or any age that's older than the clown is, is
unfit.

Bob Sidman
Internet Editor
<robert_sidman -at- fmso -dot- navy -dot- mil>

Joanne -

Wait 'till your 60 and tell us this!

Been there. Isn't that way at all!

I'm 65, still need and *want* to work.

At interviews they see the gray hair, receding hairline, or wrinkles
and its all over. Oh yes, they go through the motions, but you know
how its going to turnout...

(Yes, I am aware that there are exceptions.)

Don Smith
Senior Technical Writer