Intranet Definition

Subject: Intranet Definition
From: Janet Valade <jvalade -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 12:37:00 -0700

A little while ago, there was some discussion of intranets on this list
and I thought I understood the definition. However, on attempting to
use the word in a document, I decided it still isn't clear to me. Is
intranet just a new word for WAN? What's the diff?

Let me ask a specific example. A University campus is totally
networked. There is a token ring in the campus with routers in every
building so that almost all PC's are connected to the campus network.
There is also a network which links several campuses of the University
together. The University campus network is connected to the
intercampus network. The intercampus network is connected to the
Internet. What part of this do you call an intranet? I would have
called the campus network a WAN and the network in a specific building
a LAN. Is the campus network an intranet? Or the network connecting
several campuses? Or the two together?

Janet Valade
jvalade -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com