Win95 Bitmaps & Dithering

Subject: Win95 Bitmaps & Dithering
From: Henning Bertram <hb -at- NAVISION -dot- DK>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 13:37:48 GMT

Sorry about the cross-posting, but I figure that somebody in one of
these groups might just know the answer to this one. Or, if not, I
think at least this will be audiences that can sympathize.

Story is this: we use screenshots for our manuals that are printed in
black and white on a DocuTech. Once we had found a good colorscheme
under Win 3.1, this worked nicely -- the various parts of the windows
had nice shades of gray.

Enter Win95. Here, it appears, MS has decided not to use a solid color
for a few of the items in a windows -- amongst others, the slide area
on a scrollbar and a disabled button. They use a pattern. This cannot
be changed.

And it it does give us a lot of problems. Under a lot of
circumstances, this pattern will cause not-very-nice dithering in the
printed matter (like, you kno,w huge areas with a checkered pattern).
And you are not always able to guess before the final printout where
the problems will be.

Till now, we have used the very tedious method of painting a solid,
medium gray color in those areas -- but sure is a slow process.

I imagine that a lot of people have met this problem? What have you
done about it? Is there a better solotion? Does MS have a solution?

Henning Bertram
Technical Writer
Navision Software a/s (www.navision.dk)
e-mail: hb -at- navision -dot- dk