Re: 45 in pespective

Subject: Re: 45 in pespective
From: David Locke <locke -at- SUGAR-LAND -dot- ANADRILL -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 09:26:59 +0000

At 07:19 PM 10/22/96 -0400, John Crane wrote:

<snip>

>The way things are going, though, I'm not sure knowledge of computers will
>be all that important in the future. I suspect office use of computers will
>become more and more like we now use the computers in automobiles,
>microwave ovens, and dishwashers. Or, to make another comparison, to
>operate an automobile in 1910 one had to know a lot about how it worked and
>how to repair it on the fly. Today, anyone can drive with virtually no
>knowledge at all about how a car works.

Virtuoso performance will always require a cognative (troubleshooting)
model. Task sublimation reduces the learning curve, but it won't eliminate
it, without more artifically intelligent systems.

Even today, if you don't have a model, you will be left standing on the side
of the road. I hope you have AAA.

The cognative model is what provides us with our transfer skill when we have
to move on to a new product or technology.

David
Locke -at- sugar-land -dot- anadrill -dot- slb -dot- com
Engineering - Drilling Information Products
200 Gillingham Ln. Voice: 713 275 4722
Sugar Land, TX 77487 Fax: 713 275 8098