Page numbering for illustrations

Subject: Page numbering for illustrations
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 10:14:24 -0400

Look, everyone, a new message thread!

I'm in the midst of preparing a report for my client. We'll include a
series of 17 full-page technical drawings with no text pages in between the
illustrations. We haven't decided yet whether these illustrations will be
printed on 8 1/2 x 11 paper, or on 11 x 17 paper folded to fit the binder.

I have a few questions about how to page number these beasties. And yes, I
did search the techwr-l archives first! I also checked my style guides
(Chicago and Digital). The guides discuss how to do whichever presentation
method you choose, but not which method is preferred. The drawings are
produced by a different software app than the rest of the report, and
manually inserted into the report during production.

1. Should each drawing page be counted in the page numbers? Since the
report will be printed double-sided, that means each drawing actually uses
up two page numbers.

2. Whether or not the drawing pages are numbered, should each drawing be
preceded by a page that contains only the drawing's caption (this caption
resembles the captions I use for other, smaller figures and drawings
embedded in the body of the text)?

3. Or should I list the drawings on the text page that precedes the
drawings? The front matter does contain a list of figures, and the drawings
do show up there.

So how do you page number your full-page illustrations? Please reply
directly to me; if I get enough responses, I'll summarize to the list.

TIA!

Win
Win Day
Technical Writer/Editor