Computer-mediated collaboration

Subject: Computer-mediated collaboration
From: Iamarika -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:39:05 -0400

Dear Technical Writers,

As a graduate student of technical and science communication, researching
computer-mediated calibration, electronic communication, and interactive
communication, it would be interesting in knowing if the corporate world has
embraced the technology or is it still just theory?

I asked my instructor (employed also as an editor/manager), if LockheadMartin
uses computer-mediated collaborative methods to produce proposals, documents
or other technical writings. His answer surprisingly was no. I find it
amazing that a facility as technically oriented as LockheadMartin does not
take advantage of this medium. However, his comments toward collaboration
were positive.

Therefore, I would like to submit to you the technical writers the question
-- What has been your experiences with computer-mediated collaborative
writing? If you use computer-mediated programs, which ones do you use? The
entire topic of collaborative writing and computer-mediation fascinates me.
As one of my abstracts concluded, it does not always work well. I would
appreciate your thoughts and your experiences.

Marika Chalupa
Drexel University