Is it off-topic?

Subject: Is it off-topic?
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 10:26:45 -0500

Although I enjoy the lengthy diatribes against MS Word
(they remind me why I don't use it), they really are off
topic. Here's a good touchstone: Is the problem something
you'd need to solve whether you use Frame, Interleaf,
WordPerfect, Word or AmiPro? Great... it's techwr-l
material. Do you need to know what tools exist? Great...
advice on one specific piece of software? Sorry, take it
elsewhere.

How about starting the "welcome to the list" message all
newcomers receive with a simple statement: "This list is
not intended to solve problems with specific software. If
you have questions related to the following products, send
them to the following addresses:
MS Word: list name and subscription instructions
etc."