Subject: [1]TECHWR-L Digest - 9 Oct
From: Karen Lew <Karen -dot- Lew -at- QUICKMAIL -dot- LLNL -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 08:11:34 -0800

Thanks for the QuickMail. I'm away from the office until October 28 and will
respond then. If you need the HWM technical editor before then, contact Pat
Boyd or Mike Genin.

--------------------------------------
Date: 10/18/96 10:01 PM
To: Karen Lew
From: Technical Writers List; for al
!!! Original message was too large.
!!!
!!! It is contained in the enclosure whose name
!!! is the same as the subject of this message.
!!!
!!! A preview of the message follows:

Topics of the day:

1. Documentation Plan
2. QUERY RE:"Going Online" workshop (2)
3. JOBS: Dallas
4. IRC Conference "Writing for translation" - reminder
5. Online but not for software
6. bye bye for now
7. Footers & Revision #'s
8. Intranets - Don't go there? (4)
9. File name or filename? (3)
10. Definite articles in front of acronyms (2)
11. Online Documentation. New! Improved! (4)
12. Tools for creating online manuals
13. job negotiation for beginner (2)
14. Almost over 45 club (3)
15. SPOILER: Almost over 45 club -Reply
16. job negotiation for beginner (long)
17. Web/PDF Advice sought (3)
18. Re[2]: Intranets - Don't go there?
19. Ageism discussion (5)
20. Ready for the Glue Factory
21. Ageism (3)
22. Course: Product Usability For Doc Professionals

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 11:18:32 +0800
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Subject: Re: Documentation Plan

Several people have asked for a copy of my Information plan. I'm afraid
this was a Misti-only offer, as there are confidentiality problems.

Buy 'Managing Your Documentation Projects'! It will repay your ~ US$40
a hundred-fold over your career. Otherwise follow the advice given by
other contributors to this thread -- it's good stuff.

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield (slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au) Voice: +61 9 328 8288
Functional Software Pty Ltd Fax: +61 9 328 8616

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 16:40:04 +1000
From: Ian Lyall </G=Ian/S=Lyall/GQ=BB -at- TGA -dot- AUSGOVHHCS -dot- TELEMEMO -dot- AU>
Subject: QUERY RE:"Going Online" workshop

Does anyone know of plans to publish (in any medium) the Proceedings of the
"Going Online" workshop being run by Ann Rockley for the STC South-western
Ontario Chapter (Region 1) ?

I sent an e.m to Karen Piech (Workshop Coordinator) and Catherine McNair
asking for details, but this may have gone into an electronic black hole
somewhere. Any information would be appreciated.

This is my first time on this list, so please pardon and correct any breaches
of etiquette.

Replies may be sent directly to <ian -dot- lyall -at- tga -dot- ausgovhhcs -dot- telememo -dot- au> if
this is more appropriate. TIA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 22:06:29 +600
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- AIRMAIL -dot- NET>
Subject: JOBS: Dallas

I'm posting this as a favor. Please do reply to me. Instead, reply to
the person at the end of the message.

Job openings in Dallas

1) Job title: Trainer

Job description: Seeking experienced technical writers to deliver
stand-up instruction to our Fortune 500 clients in the Dallas/Ft.
Worth area. Some projects also include design and development of
training materials so experience developing courseware is a plus.

2) Job title: Technical writer

Job description: Seeking experienced technical writers to perform
software documentation in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Projects include
front-end analysis, information-gathering from SMEs, and developing
user guides, reference guides, etc. Requires FrameMaker. Other pluses:
Doc-to-Help or RoboHelp, experience with tables, flow diagrams, data
relationships, and databases.

3) Job title: Courseware Developers

Job description: Seeking experienced courseware developers to join our
staff as permanent employees. Courseware development projects involve
front-end analysis, information-gathering from SMEs,design and
development of training materials, and (sometimes) delivery.

All are salaried permanent consultant positions