Subject: [1]TECHWR-L Digest - 21 Oct
From: Karen Lew <Karen -dot- Lew -at- QUICKMAIL -dot- LLNL -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 08:13:18 -0800

Thanks for the QuickMail. I'm away from the office until October 28 and will
respond then. If you need the HWM technical editor before then, contact Pat
Boyd or Mike Genin.

--------------------------------------
Date: 10/22/96 10:04 PM
To: Karen Lew
From: Technical Writers List; for al
!!! Original message was too large.
!!!
!!! It is contained in the enclosure whose name
!!! is the same as the subject of this message.
!!!
!!! A preview of the message follows:

Topics of the day:

1. File name or filename?
2. Ageism / over 45
3. AGEISM/45 PLUS
4. Technical reviews
5. Visio or ABCFlowCharter ?
6. Client won't pay (5)
7. Flowcharting tools
8. Tech Writing Courses (2)
9. AARP response
10. Lone writers Was: job negotiation for beginner
11. Any Competitions Still Open?
12. Calling all Lone Writers!
13. Intranet Definition (2)
14. Word Masterdoc problems
15. publisher seeks coworker
16. Re[2]: Over 45? Geriatric!
17. Canadian Technical Writing Companies
18. Calling all Lone Writers!(Beware!)
19. Job Posting - Upper Michigan 3 month position
20. MPLS-ST. PAUL area only: Is there a FrameMaker users group in the area?
21. Win95 Bitmaps & Dithering
22. 45 in pespective
23. Great moments in error messages

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 13:03:39 +0800
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Subject: Re: File name or filename?

This came up recently. We went for 'file name'.

File name = the name of a file
File type = the type of a file
Filesystem = a filesystem (not the system of a file)

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield (slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au) Voice: +61 9 328 8288
Functional Software Pty Ltd Fax: +61 9 328 8616

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 15:04:33 +1000
From: Ian Lyall </G=Ian/S=Lyall/GQ=BB -at- TGA -dot- AUSGOVHHCS -dot- TELEMEMO -dot- AU>
Subject: Re: Ageism / over 45

Apologies to list in advance for continuing this thread, but the devil made
me do it.

Can you tell how old I am from this message?

May I humbly suggest that, if you stick with written or electronic
communications (letter, phone, fax, e-mail), AND not mention your age, it
should be possible to, at least, get free-lance work. Avoid video -
conferencing of course ;-) Sometimes older employees have been dismissed and
then hired back as consultants.

I know that in some countries, within government agencies and those
industries dependent on government funding, it is ILLEGAL to discriminate on
the basis of gender, race, creed, colour, physical or mental disability or
AGE. In some cases companies have been prevented from tendering for
government contracts because they do not conform with Equal Opportunity
guidelines set by governments.

An unemployed writer has plenty of time (and skill) to pursue the legal
aspects of discrimination based on age and there are always lawyers willing
to help for a percentage of damages. Don't get mad, get going.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 15:51:31 +1000
From: Ian Lyall </G=Ian/S=Lyall/GQ=BB -at- TGA -dot- AUSGOVHHCS -dot- TELEMEMO -dot- AU>
Subject: AGEISM/45 PLUS

Apologies to list manager in advance for continuing this thread, but the
devil made
me do it.

Strategy 1 - Accept reality
May I humbly suggest that, if you stick with written or electronic
communications (letter, phone, fax, e-mail), AND not mention your age, it
should be possible to get freelance work. Avoid video - conferences of
course ;-)
I know older employees who have been dismissed and then hired back as
consultants, either full- or part-time. It is a nice way to phase in
retirement at your own pace.

Strategy 2 - Fight for your rights