Subject: [1]TECHWR-L Digest - 23 Oct
From: Karen Lew <Karen -dot- Lew -at- QUICKMAIL -dot- LLNL -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 08:14:26 -0800

Thanks for the QuickMail. I'm away from the office until October 28 and will
respond then. If you need the HWM technical editor before then, contact Pat
Boyd or Mike Genin.

--------------------------------------
Date: 10/24/96 10:01 PM
To: Karen Lew
From: Technical Writers List; for al
!!! Original message was too large.
!!!
!!! It is contained in the enclosure whose name
!!! is the same as the subject of this message.
!!!
!!! A preview of the message follows:

Topics of the day:

1. Fonts and Point Sizes (5)
2. Just FYI : we CAN improve the List !
3. Visio or ABCFlowCharter ? : summary
4. Just FYI (5)
5. Re[2]: "Off Topic" Postings (2)
6. Just FYI (short)
7. Topics
8. Client won't pay
9. Page numbering for illustrations
10. Relevance of Java to TWers? (3)
11. Re[2]: Client won't pay
12. Re[2]: Just FYI
13. Script Development Tutoring
14. Metaofftopicality
15. acceptable error rates (9)
16. How to treat doc errata? (6)
17. HTML books (3)
18. FW: Re[2]: Client won't pay
19. Client Won't Pay
20. Information on creating PDF files (4)
21. JOB: Mac On-line Help Writer
22. FW: FW: Page numbering for illustrations
23. request for an article
24. Computer-mediated collaboration (2)
25. Cincinnati-Area Tech Writers
26. JOB: Project Lead/Technical Writer
27. Job Posting - Charlotte, NC
28. Just FYI and Re[2]: Just FYI (4)
29. job-hunting: Indy
30. Re[2]: acceptable error rates (2)
31. Magazines
32. Win95 Bitmaps & Dithering (Solution)

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 09:12:36 +0200
From: David -dot- SOMERS -at- ST -dot- COM
Subject: Re: Fonts and Point Sizes

Danna,

Don't forget that the readability will also depend on other factors
such as the leading that you use, the extent, margins, etc., plus
typefaces such as Garamand have fine detail that will be lost when
displayed/printed at low resolution, that is anything less than 600
dpi, but then again I have a fine eye for detail :-)

Alternatives: you might want to take a look at the Amasis family from
Monotype (if you drop me your fax number I'll send over some page
proofs for a book that I once set in it).

Greetings (from cold and overcast france)

David Somers
(Usual disclaimer - speaking for myself and not ST)

_________________________________
Subject: Fonts and Point Sizes
Author: TECHWR-L (TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU) at internet
Date: 10/23/96 22:28

We are redesigning our template and have tentatively picked Garamond 11 point
for the body text. Some of our writers have concerns about the readability of
both the font and point size. We ship our doc as hard copy and PDF files, so
resolution online is a consideration.

Suggestions? Altneratives?

Thanks!

Danna
dlcardwell -at- softart -dot- com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 11:24:40 +0200
From: WRONECKI Frederic DG <frederic -dot- wronecki -at- FRANCETELECOM -dot- FR>
Subject: Re: Just FYI : we CAN improve the List !

For me, the question is not to prevent off-topic postings (this is an
impossible to define notion), but to limit the amount of messages to read
and increase their value.

This is why I often suggest that any query be answered by private mail, the
initial poster having to build up a summary for the list.

I also encourage everyone to search into TECHWR-Archives before launching a
new thread : so many topics have already been opened that you can always
find something relevant.

Imagine how it would be valuable if each new posting opened with a summary
of the existing archive material, followed by a precise question about a
specific point to dig out, instead of those widely open "any info would be
appreciated about... " postings !

Finally, I make another suggestion, as a frequent TECHWR-Archive user : when
contributing to a discussion, please do not alter the *beginning* of the
title : the archive ser