Interleaf vs. FrameMaker

Subject: Interleaf vs. FrameMaker
From: Nikki Blomquist <nikkib -at- WATER -dot- CA -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 16:49:20 -0800

I don't want to start a software flame war, but I would like to ask for
any information you have about the differences between Interleaf and
FrameMaker.

My unit is about to embark on a two-year writing/production project to
produce a 3 volume, 400 page document. During this project, we will be
phasing in PCs and phasing out our UNIX workstations. Because of the
cost of maintaining Interleaf, we are considering switching to
FrameMaker because it sounds like the best alternative to Interleaf.

I checked the archives and couldn't find any posts about this topic and
I need to find answers to the following questions:
How well do Interleaf files transfer into FrameMaker?
How difficult is it to create tables in FrameMaker?
Does FrameMaker import graphics well?
Can we use Excel charts in FrameMaker? If not, what software works well?
Is FrameMaker easy to learn?
Are there any FrameMaker trainers near Sacramento, CA?

Thank you in advance for your time and thoughts. I hope this post isn't
too off-topic. Please send any comments to nikkib -at- water -dot- ca -dot- gov -dot-

Cheers-
Nikki Blomquist