Re: US-New Jersey-Contract Tech Writers-Framemaker-Telecom <Recr

Subject: Re: US-New Jersey-Contract Tech Writers-Framemaker-Telecom <Recr
From: David Demyan <dbdemyan -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 09:04:23 -0500

steve whitlatch wrote:
-snip-
> Please disclose the pay rate. Disclosure might help attract
> the best candidates if it is truly an excellent rate. And I
> am interested in gaining more knowledge of pay rates
> for contract tech writers.--snip--

Steve;

Thank you for your observation. It gives me a chance to explain this
facet of contracting to the list.

For many of the jobs I have available, I can disclose the
pay rate up front because the client has given me exact guidelines.
These guidelines will be something like "I can pay between $30 and
$50 per hour, depending on the suitability of the candidates."
In the case of the most recently advertised jobs, the client has
specifically left the pay rate wide open. The market for qualified
technical writers in this region is very tight right now and some
clients realize it. They direct me not to discourage the best
candidates by advertising low rates; on the other hand, they
would not like to be in the position of being committed to paying
top rates for less-than-top level candidates.

Another assignment that I sent only to techwr-l at the same time
as the one I listed in framers gave a very specific pay range
of from $45 - $50 per hour. (NOTE: this opportunity did not
get posted to framers because Framemaker is not among the
requirements.) This client is also offering excellent pay,
but is willing to be very specific about it. They will also
be very exacting in requiring a perfect match with their
specifications.

In cases where the client does not specify pay range, interested
parties should call me or write for specifics and send in a resume.
Please understand that it is very difficult to give pay rates in
these cases until I see a resume and determine a) if the client is
going to be interested at all, and b) how best to approach the
client with candidates' qualifications and discuss rates at that
time.

Regards,
Dave.
David B. Demyan Mendem Concord, Inc.
Toll Free: (888) 753-8500 Technical Writers
FAX: (908) 756-0129 Document Conversions
dbd -at- mendem -dot- com http://www.mendem.com