Re: Document Management Ideas

Subject: Re: Document Management Ideas
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 08:21:23 -0800

At 09:16 AM 10/30/96 CST, you wrote:
>Greetings!

>Our Tech Pubs department would like to implement some sort of document
>management system. Right now, we have a "working" common drive, and a
>"final" common drive. After trying to purge some old documentation
>yesterday, I noticed a lot of duplication, and was soon confused as to
>what was actually the final version of a document.

I'd suggest not keeping documents in two places. Keep them in one place, using the hierarchy shown below:

Document A
Working copy
Final copy A (with date)
Final copy B (with date)
Document B
Working copy
Final ...

Here's an example using DOS 8.3:

instgd
current
pub0596 <--indicates published in May 1996
pub1096
usergd
current
pub0495

The justification for doing it this way is this: writers/editors/DTP go to ONE place when working on a document. They branch out to the appropriate version from there.

Regards...Kris
kjolberg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com (preferred)
kjolberg -at- aol -dot- com
kjolberg -at- msn -dot- com
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com
102031 -dot- 3556 -at- compuserve -dot- com
s -dot- othoudt -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net