Numbered Procedural Steps

Subject: Numbered Procedural Steps
From: Daniel Wise <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 09:14:41 -0800

Colleagues,

Eric Ray comments on numbered procedural steps. Why use numbers at all?
Don't we usually use caps, italics, boldface, or a different type font to tell
our reader what kind of action/resonse it is? If we have to click a button or
strike some keys, we may put that in bold. Then we might use lightface for
the screen response, etc. Why do we need to add to the clutter by putting in
numbers or bullets or some cutesy dingbat? Seems like a waste of keystrokes
to me.

Dan Wise
dewise -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com