Re: when a bad manual wins..

Subject: Re: when a bad manual wins..
From: Iain Harrison <iharrison -at- SCT -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 11:39:34 GMT

Bob Jones writes:

Hi all,

I am in the middle of rewriting a numbing set of very bad
manuals, and I feel like the bad manuals are winning. I feel
like I have mono whenever I sit down to work on them. They have
broken my spirit.

What do you do to when I project gets you down?
<<

I think I've been lucky so far. I get the odd day when nothing
seems to go right, and I get days when I just can't seem to write
well, but it hasn't ganged up on me all at once yet.

I usually find some really important job to divert myself, like
fine-tuning the screensaver, or working on a screen capture that
has some colours I'd like to change slightly ;-)

To be honest, you sound like you need a holiday. That may not be
possible, so maybe second best would be to find some other way to
do something useful, but not what you are doing at present.

When I was at school, I did a lot of dinghy sailing. If you are
coming second in a race, the rule was to do something different.
That way, you had a different set of winds and tides. Maybe you
could use this approach if you are coming second to the bad
manuals?

In the long term, there ought to be more satisfaction is improving
bad manuals than good ones - the differences will be greater!

In the short term, you have my sympathy.

Iain
iharrison -at- sct -dot- co -dot- uk