Re: Trouble with SME

Subject: Re: Trouble with SME
From: Matthew Stern <MAStern -at- PLATSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 09:29:00 -0800

Here's one tip you can try in terms of dealing with the SME who wants to
know why his comments weren't incorporate:

Whenever I incorporate comments from a review, I always check off the
comments I use and make a brief comment next to a comment I don't use.
This isn't just for the reviewer's benefit: I also do it to keep track
of what I've changed and why. Also, if my updated files were ever
corrupted, it is easy for me to start with the previous draft and
reconstruct the changes.

Then, when the SME asks why his comments weren't changed, you can hand
him back his review copy, ask him to review your responses, and invite
him to discuss any issues he has. The SME can focus on specific issues
he might have. This is much more efficient (for both him and you) than
going over every change.

Hope this helps,

Matthew Stern
Sr. Technical Writer