Web Page Design

Subject: Web Page Design
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 17:06:00 -0600

> Can anyone suggest web sites to visit where the pages are designed
> "by the screenful"?

What's a "screenful?" Even settling on an absolute definition of "screen" in
terms of pixels will be meaningless, as the user can have any particular
size of type specified at the browser level, so one 640x480 screen will not
hold as much text as another.

Is it just me who doesn't see any difference between page-centered design
and screen-centered? Both ideas are wrong-headed when it comes to digital
design. When it comes to digitally-delivered information, let the
information tell *you* what it needs to have, don't try to force-fit it into
some arbitrarily-chosen measure.

If you've done your job, the information will be logically chunked and well-
organized. And the odds are great that there'll be some users who have had
to scroll it to read it, and others who have not. Since you can't control
it, why worry about it?

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224