Re: Single Sourcing Documents ( Was: Documentation Studio)

Subject: Re: Single Sourcing Documents ( Was: Documentation Studio)
From: byfield -at- DIRECT -dot- CA
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:16:31 -0800

The Tech Writer <techwrtr -at- CRL -dot- COM> wrote:

>Has anyone seen an example of single-sourcing that is *good*? I've
>seen examples (such as the manual for RoboHELP 3.0...the last release
>before RoboHELP 95), but none of them have been *good* documents. I think
>that, in theory, single-sourcing is wonderful, but in execution, its
>inherent problems are pretty obvious.

Last week, I attended an Adobe seminar in Vancouver, BC. The
presentation made quite clear that Adobe's long-term strategy
is to provide a suite of compatible programs for document
production. This goal is already partly accomplished, and
should provide a successful (if expensive) solution.

(Funny--until last week, I never thought of Adobe as one of the
major software developers, but, in its own niche, the company is
well on the way to being as monopolistic as IBM or Microsoft).

Bruce Byfield (byfield -at- direct -dot- ca)
Burnaby, BC, Canada
(604) 421-7189