Re: Screen-sized Web Pages?

Subject: Re: Screen-sized Web Pages?
From: Shmuel Ben-Artzi <sba -at- NETMEDIA -dot- NET -dot- IL>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:51:51 +0200

>> Peter Ring wrote:

>>> I think it's time to stop this nonsense. Why?

>>> "Screen sized websites" is a phantom! Whether it is "screen sized"
>>> or not depends also a lot on which browser you use, the settings of
>>> the browser, and your screen resolution.

Peter,

Essentially I agree with what you are saying here. I feel though that one
important element of the page vs. screen argument is missing from this
entire thread. You said that the "screen-sized website" is a phantom.
Correct. But what about "screen-sized digestible data chunks"? I do not, as
a general policy, limit myself in Web design to fitting a full page onto a
screen. Way too many variables to contend with. But what I do try very hard
to do is to make complete thoughts, concepts, groupings and the like fit
onto a single screen. Scrolling through a document is no problem for most
users. Not being able to peruse a single, definable block of data at a
single glance, though, is more frustrating.

All right, so I won't always succeed. Necessarily large data chunks may fill
more than one screen on a subnotebook and smaller ones will undoubtedly
overlap on a 21" monitor. But on the whole, the documents will be more
easily comprenended and utilized.

Shalom,

Shmuel

Shmuel Ben-Artzi