Re[2]: Killer

Subject: Re[2]: Killer
From: "Virginia L. Krenn" <asdxvlk -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 16:47:19 -0800

The message below from Naomi Kritzer (although it is discussing the
"abort" terminology) illustrates what I had been thinking about the
male/female terminology. Users are getting younger all the time. And, some
of them may be encountering this terminology in elementary school prior to
sex education classes and would be totally confused by it.

Steve Evanina said that he received the following info from a connector
manufacturer and it sounds like a good choice to use instead of the
male/female descriptors.

"Identification of the sex of a connector can vary. The side with
the pins is male and the side with socket contacts would be female.
Using "male" and "female" is sometimes considered "politically
incorrect." In most cases we say either plug and receptacle housing
or plug and jack. Something like that can keep you from offending
anyone."