Re: Documenting a Programming Language. WAS:Syntax Diagrams

Subject: Re: Documenting a Programming Language. WAS:Syntax Diagrams
From: Jed Clark <jed -at- AUTOSIM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 08:46:01 -0700

Rebecca

>Finally, context-sensitive help is a major plus for documenting this
>kind of language. Since the person can only use the language when they
>are sitting at the terminal, on-line help is critical. In on-line help,
>using a lot of diagrams is going to bog you down.

This is actually part of the reason I sent the question to the list. Right
now, we've duplicated our syntax diagrams in our online help. To do this
we had to use bitmaps of the diagrams. Besides bogging us down, the
diagrams are much harder to read online than in our reference manual.

Thanks,
Jed

In a minute there is time, for decisions and revisions
which a minute will reverse.
T.S. Eliot
from Jed Clark - jed -at- autosim -dot- com
AutoSimulations - 655 Medical Dr.
Bountiful UT, 84010 - (801) 298-1398 ext. 316