Re: Frame Indexing

Subject: Re: Frame Indexing
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 09:53:39 -0800

> From: Amos Jessup <jessup -at- VISICOM -dot- COM>
> >From: "Tony G. Rocco" <trocco -at- NAVIS -dot- COM>
> >
> >A few days ago I posted a request for info about indexing tools that work
> >with FrameMaker on the Macintosh, but I got no responses. Am I being
> >snubbed, or is there really no such thing out there in the wide world of
> >software applications? Please advise.

> Frame does a very complete indexing job. You have to place markers and can
> create a variety of them. It's one of those things where the manual is
> your first line of defence -- not cyber-halitosis!

Although *creating* index markers in FrameMaker is relatively simple,
editing the resulting index can be frustrating. Frame (unless it has
changed in version 5) has no capability to display the text within
the marker in running text, nor can you edit a complete book index.
This means that although you find the errors in the final alphabetical
book index, you have to correct them chapter-by-chapter. A royal pain.

Help is at hand for at least UNIX or Windows (and possibly Macintosh
by now) in the form of IXgen, a product we use and adore from Frank
Stearns Associates (franks -at- fsatools -dot- com). Not only does it provide
the capability to expand and contract markers, it also enables you
to produce an editable generated marker list, which you can edit and
then propagate the corrections back into the chapter files of the book.
I have no commercial connection with this product; it has, however,
saved me untold hours of frustration.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html <-------- NEW!!!

"Usenet is like Tetris for people who still remember how to read"