Re: Jargon query

Subject: Re: Jargon query
From: steve bem <buffalo -at- SYMPATICO -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 12:27:36 -0800

Hi to All:

(I'm sending this a second time to ensure delivery, because my computer just crashed.)

I was a Canadian Air Force pilot (1980-96) and am now a student tech writer. Here's a
quote from Canadian federal air regulations:

"UNICOM, an acronym for Universal Communications, is an air/ground communication
facility operated by a private agency to provide Private Advisory Station (PAS) service
at uncontrolled aerodromes."

Translation: Many small airports around the world without control towers use a UNICOM
frequency as a sort of "pilot party line". On it, pilots announce their positions and
intentions to other aircraft operating in the vicinity of one of these airports. Using
UNICOM, they cooperate to stay out of each others' way.

This is an aviation term, rather than a military one; most uncontrolled, UNICOM equipped
airports happen to be civilian sites.

Oh yeah, I mentioned that I was a student tech writer...

I'm about to begin a job search and would like to specialize in the aviation industry.
If anybody has any ideas, please email me.

Cheers

Steve Bem
buffalo -at- sympatico -dot- ca