Re: Advanced degrees

Subject: Re: Advanced degrees
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- AIRMAIL -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 19:31:20 +600

On 25 Nov 96 at 16:02, Elaine R. Firestone wrote:

> I have a related question. I'm a technical editor (I'll edit
> anything, I'm not picky) with most of my experience (almost 5 years
> with "technical editor" in my title) in science. If I went back for
> a Master's in Technical Communication, emphasizing writing more than
> editing, would it help me get ahead, or would I be wasting my time
> since I'd probably be able to get into the writing aspect OJT?

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "get ahead" and
"wasting....time"! I doubt that it would make that much difference in
your take home salary, but I do think that more and more employers
are looking for degrees. If it is only a question of money versus
time, then probably it would be a waste of time.

If, however, you're looking at a Master's degree as a an extra trump
card for getting a job over someone equally qualified who does not
have a degree, then it might be worth considering. Personally, I
found my Master's coursework to be interesting and challenging, not
to mention worthwhile in understanding and explaining the "why" we do
something a certain way as well as "how" we do it. I don't think, as
someone else on the list mentioned, that it could ever hurt you to
have a Master's degree. It's another dimension of professionalism, if
it's done well.

Jane Bergen

"my opinions are my own..."
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer