Flat fees

Subject: Flat fees
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 17:28:35 -0600

Bobby Collins wrote <<I've just completed two small
jobs for which I billed $25/hour ($300 total). They
are suggesting an on-going relationship (probably
similar assignments monthly), but would prefer a flat
fee.>>

Before you contract yourself into a corner, confirm
what they mean by "a flat fee". This needn't
necessarily mean that they want a single sum for any
job, no matter how complex... some clients just want
a firm estimate that you won't exceed on each job
(for budgeting purposes), or don't want a freelancer
who pads the bill by stretching a job for more hours
than it's worth.

If they do honestly want a flat price for all jobs,
build yourself some slack in the contract by defining
the terms under which you'll do the work. For
example: "maximum 2 pages, research fees (e.g.,
long-distance phone calls) extra" or whatever is
involved. (Haven't seen the original message yet, so
don't know the particulars.) You could still probably
talk them into working by "firm quote" if you explain
to them that some jobs will cost less, and they'll
save money this way.