Re: Extended lists

Subject: Re: Extended lists
From: Beth Mazur <mazur -at- MAYA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 11:55:08 -0500

At 8:35 AM 12/2/96 -0500, geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca wrote:
> Beth Mazur wondered about the readability of bulleted (or
> numbered) lists in which the second and subsequent lines of
> each item wrap back to the left margin.

Sorry, this wasn't what I was asking. I wondered about the readability
of list items in which the bullet, dingbat, or number is outside the
left margin of the surrounding paragraphs. In other words:

| (virtual left margin)

Here is a paragraph.

o Here is an outdented bullet item.

o Here is a flush left bullet.

o Here is an indented bullet item.

Here is a paragraph.

| (virtual left margin)

(This will look very screwy if you are not reading mail with a fixed width
font like Courier.)

In all cases, text wraps under the "H" in "Here."

I'm wondering if there is any rationale for the outdented bullet item.

Beth Mazur
MAYA Design Group
mazur -at- maya -dot- com